The Supporting Neighborhood Opportunity in Massachusetts (SNO Mass) Program supports Housing Choice Voucher families with school-aged children making moves to communities with high quality schools, parks and open spaces and healthy, safe environments. SNO Mass helps families take full advantage of the “choice” embedded in the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
This voluntary program provides a wide-range of supports to help participating families to access and attain residential stability in higher opportunity neighborhoods; locations with high-performing schools, low poverty rates, and environments that have demonstrated positive health and well-being outcomes for children and adults.
It has a BIG impact on your family.
It can influence your family’s health, the quality of your child’s education, their future income and quality of life.
It is a BIG decision.
You shouldn’t have to rush into taking any apartment just because it is available. It has to be the right place for your family.
You have CHOICES.
SNO Mass can help you with the choices that matter most to you and your family.
- Be a RCAP Solutions Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher participant in good standing
- Have at least one child in your household under the age of 18
- Currently live in a non-SNO Mass Opportunity Area
Pre-move counseling connects you to available landlords and units.
Financial Assistance is available to help with moving costs, security deposits, and other fees.
Post-move counseling is there to support you in your new neighborhood.
Potentially higher voucher value to pay higher rent for apartments in high-opportunity areas.
- High-quality public schools
- Parks and green spaces
- Supermarkets with healthy food options
- Low poverty rates
- High employment rates
- Help with housing search
- Apartment listings in opportunity areas
- Potentially higher voucher value
- Transportation to view apartments
- Information on schools and assistance with transfers
- Financial assistance with moving costs, security deposit, and other fees before and after you move
- Providing assistance in locating resources and services in your new community
SNO Mass Supports for Property Owners
Property Owners who rent a unit in RCAP Solutions’ designated SNO Mass Opportunity Areas to a SNO Mass Participant are eligible for several supports and incentives.
Click here to see if your unit is located in a designated SNO Mass Opportunity Area.
These supports include:
The second installment ($600) will be paid if the landlord renews their initial lease with the SNO Mass tenant or if the original SNO Mass tenant moves out but either a) the unit is rented to another SNO Mass tenant or b) there is damage exceeding the security deposit.
- A single point of contact
- Accelerated response time – phone calls and emails will be returned by SNO Mass staff within one business day
SNO Mass Opportunity Areas (click)