About the Program
The Home Modification Loan Program (HMLP) is a state-funded lending program that provides no-interest loans to homeowners to fund necessary changes to keep themselves or a family member with a disability or mobility impairment living comfortably in their own home.
The program has generous income guidelines and allows for accessibility renovations based on the household member’s medical need. This program can benefit anyone in the house who has a disability or mobility impairment; the homeowner themself, their child, or an elderly family member.
Loans can range from $1,000 to $50,000 are based on medical need and income eligibility. RCAP Solutions administers this program to Central Massachusetts residents in collaboration with the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission (MRC) and the Community Economic Development Assistance Corporation (CEDAC).
HMLP for Homeowners & Family Members
- Ramps, stair lifts, and platform lifts
- Accessible bathroom and kitchen modifications
- Ramps and fences
- Decks, walkways, and driveways
- Sensory or therapy spaces
- And much more…
Yes, HMLP also lends $1,000 to $30,000 loans to owners of manufactured or mobile homes, secured by a promissory note and security agreement.
Repayment is required when property is sold or when the property’s title is changed. There are no required monthly payments and no interest.
HMLP for Landlords
- Landlords with less than 10 units may apply for a loan at 3% interest
- Loans range from $1,000 to $50,000
- Landlords renting to family member with disabilities may qualify for a 0% Deferred Loan with a one-time payment
- In most cases, homeowners who rent units to disabled family members are eligible
- Ensures stable tenancy/decreased vacancy rates
- Reduces tenant turnover and improves the stability of your property
- Increases the pool of tenants who might rent from you in the future
- Makes unit desirable to individuals with disabilities, families with disabled children, and the elderly
Examples of Modifications
- Home Modification Loan Program Website: Includes information on eligibility guidelines, types of loans available, the loan process, and other helpful information.
- HMLP Application: English | Spanish
- HMLP Brochure: English | Spanish
- Click here for a list of qualified contractors in the Central Massachusetts area.
Home Modification Loan Program (HMLP) Helps Family Members With Disabilities Live Safely in Their Own Houses
This video features an uplifting testimonial from a Home Modification Loan Program (HMLP) borrower.