Housing Choice Voucher Program Project based units- Elderly & Disabled Services

Project-based rental assistance means rental assistance comes with the apartment. You will pay 30% of your income toward rent and the federal government, through the Section 8 rental assistance program, pays the difference between your payment and the actual rent charged. Under the Section 8 tenant-based voucher program, you may select an apartment of your choice. When you move out of the apartment, you can transfer the rental assistance to another apartment of your choice. Under the Section 8 project-based voucher program, the rental assistance is tied to specific apartments. It is not a mobile subsidy that can be taken with you from place to place. If you move, you do not have any right to continued housing assistance. However, you may be eligible for a tenant-based voucher when one becomes available. Eligible tenants always pay only 30% of their adjusted monthly income towards rent and utilities even if the rent for the apartment increases in the future. Your apartment is inspected to ensure that it is in good condition before it may be approved for the program.

Click here to return to the full list of Elderly & Disabled Services