Self Sufficiency Programs

RCAP Solutions Self Sufficiency Programs assist families who are transitioning from welfare to employment and are a great stabilizer, providing financial assistance and homeownership opportunities. They help alleviate the burden of high rents through rental assistance, can assist with day care, transportation and any other work/education related expenses, which encourages the participant to obtain and retain employment.

These programs include:

  • Safe Step:  A scattered site shelter program for victims of domestic violence.  Referrals are accepted from a variety of partner agencies including local domestic violence shelters.
  • Family Self Sufficiency (FSS):  A HUD program that encourages communities to develop local strategies to help voucher families obtain employment that will lead to economic independence and self-sufficiency. Public housing agencies (PHAs) work with welfare agencies, schools, businesses, and other local partners to develop a comprehensive program that gives participating FSS family members the skills and experience to enable them to obtain employment that pays a living wage. A separate program, the public housing FSS program, is available for public housing residents.
  • Moving to Work (MTW):  Since its inception in 1999, RCAP Solutions Moving to Work Program has successfully helped hundreds of families reduce their need for public assistance and achieve vibrant self-sufficiency.  MTW is unique because of its intensive, individual approach to supporting the entire family and not just the head of household. During their five-year program period, participants work individually with a case-manager to set and pursue goals related to education, job training, money management, childcare and transportation. A key component of the MTW Program is accumulating funds in an interest-earning escrow or savings account as the participant’s earned income increases. Families receive the funds after they successfully complete the program. Interim disbursements from the escrow account can be received for service plan related costs and needs such as education expenses. Upon graduation from the program, money accumulated in the escrow account can be used to purchase homes, start small businesses, pay off debts, and finance higher education for themselves and their children.

Please contact our Housing Consumer Education Center Line at 800-488-1969 extension 6770 to speak to one of our Housing Counselors for more information.