RCAP Solutions provides a comprehensive array of programs which assist tenants in paying for their rent. These subsidies provide rental support for tenants in privately owned units. The tenants must be income eligible and the units must pass program-specific housing quality standards inspection.
Our rental assistance programs include:
- Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP): RCAP Solutions provides Section 8 mobile vouchers to over 3,000 low-income families throughout central Massachusetts through a contract with the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) that uses funds provided by the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD). Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, and the rent must be reasonable in comparison to rents for similar, non-assisted units in the same neighborhood or community. Rental assistance is paid directly to the landlord; the amount is determined based on the family’s income. The family pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the Section 8 rental assistance.
- Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program (MRVP): The Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development provides funds for the Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program. MRVP offers both tenant-based and unit-based rental assistance. The tenant-based voucher, known as mobile, is assigned to the participant and is valid for any housing unit that meets program standards.
- Rental Assistance for Housing Rehabilitation: The Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation Program is a HUD-funded rental assistance program that provides project-based assistance to eligible tenants living in units under contract with the program. The program was established to provide affordable housing resources and improve the housing stock by requiring that the property owner complete a specified level of building rehabilitation before entering into a Moderate Rehabilitation Housing Assistance Payments Contract for the rehabilitated units. As an incentive, owners could receive rents up to 20% higher than the HUD Fair Market Rents based on a formula that considered the debt service, amenities, management and maintenance costs, etc.
- Project-based Section 8 Rental Assistance: Some Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers are used to provide long-term, “project-based” affordable housing. The rental assistance is tied to a specific unit for the term of a Housing Assistance Payments contract. This assistance can be used for newly constructed, rehabilitated, or existing units and is often used with other affordable housing development programs to help ensure that the housing produced is available to very low-income households. Some is used for projects designed to serve those with special needs.
- Rental Assistance for Special Populations: RCAP Solutions manages a variety of rental assistance programs targeted to the specific needs of certain populations, including survivors of domestic violence, families facing possible separation from their children due to a lack of adequate housing, families, persons with HIV & AIDS, persons with mental health or physical disabilities, persons in recovery from substance abuse and homeless veterans with disabilities, psychiatric or substance abuse disorders.
Please call our office at 800-488-1969 and ask to speak to one of our HCEC Housing Counselors Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.